Volunteers are the heart and soul of FIRST. The very success of FIRST rests with the thousands of volunteers globally that selflessly give their time and talents, technical or otherwise. Volunteers energize youth and shape their future. Be part of that and reap the rewards of empowering FIRST teams discover, innovate and collaborate.
Come work alongside FIRST students fostering their knowledge, skills, and values – problem-solving, leadership, confidence, motivation, creativity and so much more. Your task – and reward – will be interacting and helping bright young students achieve their goals.
Every year FIRST Alberta hosts local and provincial team events for hundreds of youth. The success of these events is grounded in the volunteers who tackle the massive amount of work required to provide world-class events. Technical and non-technical event volunteers are always available to support FIRST Programs.
Volunteer roles by program:
- FIRST® LEGO® League volunteer roles (coming soon)
- FIRST® Tech Challenge volunteer roles
- FIRST® Robotics Competition volunteer roles (coming soon)
Steps to become a FIRST volunteer
- Create a FIRST account at firstinspires.org to access the Volunteer Registration section of your Dashboard. Check out the Volunteer Registration User Guide for more information about this process!
- Pass the Youth Protection Screening. Volunteers over the age of majority must pass the free screening and clearance process of the FIRST Youth Protection Program (YPP). You will be redirected to MyBackCheck to complete your screening. A video tutorial to complete your screening is available here. The screening process normally takes up to 48 hours. To learn more about this program, visit the Youth Protection Program resources page.
- Sign up for a volunteer position at an event on your Dashboard. To see all event listings, visit our event page and check back regularly to see additional events as they are posted. You can always contact the Program Directors to ask more details about volunteer positions and volunteer opportunities.
- Complete the role-specific training once assigned to your role by the event’s Volunteer Coordinator (VC), if required. The VC will be your main point of contact for training and logistics for the event. You will get access to the training material as soon as you apply for a position that requires training. The training resources are available from your Dashboard.
Join our volunteer mailing list to get first dibs on the roles you want at our events!
Rather Mentor a team? See the Mentors page.